It might seem a little off the wall to pay for something most people enjoy for free, but when it comes to radio there’s radio and then there’s XM Radio. The craze behind satellite radio might just now be taking off, but the fact is services like XM Radio offer a whole lot of choice for people that regular FM and AM just can’t beat.
XM Radio is a fairly new service that runs on subscription. The receiver for the satellite signal can be placed in a vehicle or even transported into a home or office. While there is a monthly or annual fee associated with receiving that signal, the choice makes it a hands-down winner in the minds of many.
What XM Radio offers that regular radio cannot is simply a little bit of everything. There are channels and channels of stations to choose from and some pretty amazing choices at that.
Here’s a sampling of what services like XM Radio have to offer:
* Contemporary music. While a local FM band mind have one or two channels that play modern music, XM Radio has dozens and dozens. It’s nearly impossible to play with the dial and not find a favorite song playing.
* Country, bluegrass, folk. There are even channels dedicated to these genres on XM Radio. In fact, there are more than a few and some of them are downright spectacular.
* Oldies. What radio service would be complete without at least an oldies station or two? XM Radio has several.
* News. There are tons of news stations to choose from on XM Radio, giving listeners the ability to catch up on everything from world and local events to financial reports.
* Comedy. This is one of the perks of XM Radio as far as a lot of fans are concerned. There are multiple comedy stations that give listeners everything from very tame old skits to more saucy modern performances.
* Children’s programming. XM Radio makes sure not to leave the kids out of the loop. There are stations designed just for them where parents can be assured language will be appropriate and the music, too.
* Talk radio. There are stations dedicated to talk that can be found on XM Radio. These range from news talk to more personalized ventures.
* Traffic. XM Radio has stations dedicated to giving constant traffic and weather reports for all the major metro areas in the United States.
Offering something for just about everyone, XM Radio might be a relatively new creation, but it’s already put itself on the map.
By: Neil Day